Tuesday 13 December 2011

Self Build Diary Day 2 - To Tent or Not To Tent....

So its a big dilemma, do we tent the build to weather proof it as we are building at the worst time of year for the weather.

Its going to cost £6000 extra to tent the build which would mean building a scaffold tent and then wrapping it in sheeting to water proof and weather proof the site.

Last year the construction industry lost 6 weeks in January and February to weather with the big freeze.... its a big risk to our build and our budget.

but £6000 is a lot of money....

As i write this blog, which is really designed for my own sanity rather than entertainment, i lean more to tenting, but i could do so much with £6000.

Cons for tenting
  • its £6,000
  • we will lose about £200 per week in rent if we lose time
Pros for tenting
  • It will stop us loosing any time, bar hugely drastic temperatures.
  • It will allow us to do some first fix work before the roof goes on.
  • It fixes our scheduling ability
  • We can have people on site that cant work on other sites due to weather.
  • I can do things at the weekend
  • It fixes my time line so i should be able to be in by June as i said in my first blog.

I'm talking myself into this, but creating our little tented bubble will be a risk, but a calculated one, saving £6k and hoping for good weather.......... not sure I'm that brave, this is Huddersfield after all!!

I will come back to tent based savings later to see if it works or not!

Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!