Sunday 11 March 2012

The Self Build Diary Day 91 - Back to the grind

Well paternity leave is now over and I must get back to it! Things have been progressing nicely on site and I haven't had to be too proactive whilst at home enjoying our new addition to the family.

From here on in though things get busy!

Abode, our building contractors, are on a fixed price contract, with a fixed schedule. They will build the shell of the house and the roof and leave me with bare joists and no windows or doors. I could in theory just turn up on site the day they finish and start on the first and second fix but we need to be in the house ASAP and we also have the fabulous tent which allows us to do first fix work before the roof goes on.

We are now at first floor level with the walls and this week will see the joists go on for the first floor. Over the course of the next couple of weeks the stone work will continue up and starting Easter weekend, when the builders are at mid way through the first floor walls, I will be starting my tight schedule of weekend/evening work to get us to the point where we can take the most squeezed critical path (on paper).

Bearing in mind I haven't done half of these jobs before (not all things will be attempted by my own fair hand as I frankly want a better finish than that could acheive) I will be learning as I go and letting u know where it all goes wrong!!!

So I have to start compiling materials lists, getting quotes on materials and am learning the processes of how to do things!

My jobs are:-

- board the joists to the first floor - prepare insulation to ground floor and readying for Ufh and screed. - stud walling ground floor

The list is a lot longer than this but, one step at a time!!

I would also like to share with you That this blog was listed at number 2 in the top ten home and property blogs In the Telegraph last week, quite proud! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/9116032/Top-10-home-and-property-blogs.html

Will be back tomorrow with a photo special and a material of choice to explain/learn about!

Neil

TENT COUNTER

Working days tented - 16

Days saved - 5.5

1 comment:

  1. I have just found your blog. How very interesting! Will certainly follow your progress from now on. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments!